Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Stand at Attention.

I really liked this piece, personally. Bias implied.

I have been contemplating this idea of "attention" recently (before the article), and have been trying to apply it to some of my social activities.

As a reference point, this old song crept into my mind:



This one is a bit more problematic for me. Particularly the song in juxtaposition to the choice of scenes. But, that's the point:



"...skillfull management of attention is the sine qua non of the good life and the key to improving virtually every aspect of your experience, from mood to productivity to relationships."

One area in which I've been focusing attention is on my leisure time. I enjoyed the personal section on the details of her year with cancer in that I found it highly approachable with regards to savoring the everyday. Appreciating a walk or a movie or a comment like "Have a Nice Day."

I've trying to savor some "down" time. Specifically... (wait for it) bowling! So, I hit the lanes every Friday. Order a pitcher of spirits and bowl and chat with my friend.

As an exercise, I've been focusing on all the component parts (technique) of bowling so as to learn hook or curve bowling, just for fun. Here it is in slow motion, both a 4 and 5 step approach.



Anyway, nothing special or dangerously erudite, just a personal reflection on attention. Bowling has actually helped me set good boundaries with time away from responsibilities and giving "attention" to tecnhique has been good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment